So I had this ratty old tank with a hole in it that I had been hanging onto for who knows what reason. It was just so soft and I thought a use would eventually come to me.
See…the hole is pretty obvious. I was finally inspired to cut it up when I saw this great head band idea on Pinterest. This I could totally do. Here is my version of this project.
1) Cut a long strip about 1 1/2 ” thick. Make sure to use the seam here as a natural end for the headband.
2) Measure the strip so that it will go around your head, but so the ends just meet. The jersey material is stretchy so don’t worry you’ll go too small. Cut the strip into three strips only up to seam. Do not cut through stitching of seam.
3) braid length of strip making sure it doesn’t get all twisty. Secure end with something if you are not going to sew right away.
4) place ends together and fold the braided end into the seam so there is a nice, smooth finish.
I was so proud of myself. These were easy and now I didn’t have to get those elastic headbands from the store. You can get creative, too and make them a little fancier. I took one strip, about 1/4 inch thick and cut that into three really thin strips (like, thin enough to thread beads). Cutting the ends at an angle helps to thread the beads.
I originally intended to do this braided thing where the beads always end up on the outside but my tank fabric was not structured enough for this. So I just threaded several beads per strand and then randomly spaced them out. It turned out really cute.
Of course, this project doesn’t use up all the tank. Even if you made a dozen headbands, you would still have scraps left over. I had the seams from the neck and arm holes and small strips I had cut of from the length.
I didn’t want to throw them away. So I started making flower pins.
The seams were perfect for a rosette because they are already folded for you! It made a very contemporary, compact flower.
The strips I ruffled by using a running stitch and then pulling taught until I got the ruffle I wanted. <I then sewed the ruffle around until I got a the desired effect. Totally adorable.
I also made a third type of florette. A simple string of five circles, folded in half and connected with a running stitch.